Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Week 6

Things are getting quite busy. It is crunch time for learning choreography, which makes me slightly nervous since we haven't finished black butterfly. What we have is pretty good - we pretty much know where we're supposed to be during the music, but we still haven't finished it.

I'm learning alot about choreography through this process. We're going through it bit by bit. Sometimes using what Rosalie has already done for it and sometimes adapting or creating new bits that suit us as dancers better. I'm happy there was at least a template for it, partly because the piece is so long and complicated and partly because we have no time to get this together and ready for showing.

I'm getting quite interested in the personal pieces. Not sure what there will be besides Carine's and my pointe piece, but I think besides Raya, there is Anna with her Latin dance, Lindsay with her hip-hop, some of the girls have Jingle Dress and Shawl experience (which I would love to see - especially the jingle dress) and there is also others I am forgetting. It should be interesting to see what we as a class can come up with, particularly since there are such diverse backgrounds.

The diversity in knowledge and training is difficult in that jargon is unfamiliar to some and basic steps need to be reviewed. On the other hand, having no experience allows the dancers to be free to be sculpted and molded through this process of choreography. It will be interesting to see which approach works better in the end.

No comments: