Monday, January 14, 2008

Week One

This was the first week of Indigenous Contemporary Theatre. I am quite excited for this class, as it engages me not only mentally, but physically as well. I am very happy to be part of this class. Talking, learning and sharing through movement is one of the many ways of knowing, and it is devalued in the dominant education system in North America. I am getting my B.A. in Anthropology, which will help me to actively pursue social change, but being able to learn from an Elder in this manner, will help me grow and learn academically and personally.

I am curious to see how each of the students are cast within the outlined programs. I am hoping for certain parts, but I will be happy with anything. I can dance. I almost can't believe that I get credit for this - it seems to be too much fun and too good to be true to be an academic class. I'm happy.

I am quite interested in the various backgrounds of the students within theatre and within their personal experience; we are a fairly diverse group. There are many talents to be drawn on to complete the performance and allow many students access to the knowledge of their peers and then the class can construct knowledge from the collective pool.

The stories to be told through dance are wonderful. I am particularly fond of the Black Butterfly story so far - it resonates with me personally at this stage in my life. I quite enjoy and am looking forward to learning the lessons from this and all the stories. I'm sure as the choreography develops and each role is filled and explored by a student, the meaning and understanding will change and grow.

Wednesday night was excellent. I really loved hearing about everyone and their history. I was also quite happy with the discussion about the plan for this class. The show is going to be amazing and I hope that I can reserve enough space for friends and family who want to see it. The experience is what I am looking forward to. Just the warm up and exercises we went through during the first class made me feel good. I enjoyed the unrestricted feel of the movements. I know the professor was evaluating us and attempting to see who would fit which roles, but none of that mattered. I was rediscovering what it feels like to dance, to move with music and express emotion, energy, self all of that and so much more.

Strangely enough, I had been trying to find an extra-cirricular dance class to pick up on my own, as I have been feeling the lack of a class and the connection with other dancers and myself and the expression. So much has been missing. And I hear from Raya that this class is being run and it fit into my schedule. I am quite happy. Also, same week, I was visiting a friend who I've known for a very long time but hadn't seen and she mentioned a class she's taking Monday nights in town, so I believe that I will be picking that up with her. Good social time, extra work out, more dancing. Everything is good. More dance class makes me very happy. Plus, it will help develop balance, and help me explore alternate movements. It is a jazz class, but more lyrical like modern. I am looking forward to trying it out. First class is tonight.

No comments: