Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Week 3 - Class

This week in class, the Black Butterfly piece began to come together in a fairly cohesive fashion. We still have choreography to learn, but what we do have is now fairly ingrained within the dancer's movement and melding with the music.

The score we are working with is quite beautiful. It is unlike music I have danced to before. In some ways this is quite excellent. I am able to move in creative ways with this music and it speaks quite loudly to the piece and to myself as a dancer. The challenges I have with both the music and to some extent the method of choreography is that the music doesn't really work with the standard 8-count method that I have been taught. I am attempting to feel the music and the choreography as one, but I am still getting lost. It is helping me to grow as an artist, though. I am finding that I am not dependent on strict, ritualized methods of dance, which will contribute to my flow, emotion and creativity. I will grow as a dancer, but until I feel comfortable with this way of working, it will continue to be a challenge. I am truly trying to feel the music as part of me and part of the dance. I'm getting closer.

We didn't have a rehearsal this week, as none of us could find a time where we had the theatre booked that worked for the four or even three of us. Rehearsal won't work if we are down two butterflies.

We got to see the beginnings of the shawl dance this class and I can't wait to see it in its entirety and when it is completed with full costuming and the music that will be used with it. It is going to be quite beautiful. I am also really looking forward to the hoop dance and interested to see how Sly Old Bag comes together. All in all, the whole performance is going to be something. I'm just pleased to be able to be part of the cast.

No comments: